Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Magic Butterfly

For my first post, I'll tell you about the very first preschool classroom language activity I did when I was just out of grad school.  This was over eleven years ago, before the days of unlimited online resources (Pinterest!) and I think I found this in a Ranger Rick magazine.

I'm not super-crafty, and a bit of a minimalist so this activity is perfect for me.  All you need is paper, scissors, and crayons or markers.  (And maybe The Very Hungry Caterpillar book to read first.)  There is zero prep time; and even though it's such a simple craft, the kids always love it when I open my caterpillar to reveal the "beautiful butterfly" inside.  It's like magic!

1.  Fold a piece of paper in half.  Cut into the shape of a caterpillar.









2.  When you open it up, you should have a butterfly shape.









3.  Have fun coloring!  I usually show them mine first to use as a model.











With some of my older kids, I've done this by gluing scraps of tissue paper instead of coloring.  It requires a little more prep time and it's a little messier, but turns out pretty cute!



Here are just a few of the speech and language goals that can be targeted:
  • requesting materials
  • pronoun use (I want red, She has purple, etc.)
  • sequencing
  • story re-telling
  • color naming
  • location concepts: top, middle, bottom, right, left (blue stripe on top, etc.)
I'd love to hear how you use this activity at home, in your classroom, or during therapy sessions, so please leave a comment below to let me know!  Thanks for reading and have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment