Friday, July 27, 2012

Sea Creature Fun

Over the past couple weeks, we've been talking a lot about sea creatures during our sessions, so I put together this easy sea creature bin.



I used crinkle cut paper shreds for the "sea", added some of these Marvel Education Co. Sea Animals  that I bought years ago at US Toy, along with some other sea creatures that I picked up at the dollar store. 

We first read the book Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea by Jan Peck, then took turns "catching" animals out of the bin.  We talked about each animal, and then matched them with the pictures in the book.



Some of the speech and language goals targeted:
  • articulation for f and k sounds (When "catching" each creature, we used the target phrase "I found..." or "I caught...")
  • Articulation for s, sh, ch, and s blends (starfish, swordfish, shark, seahorse, sea turtle, octopus, sea, ocean)
  • sorting and categorizing
  • telling how objects are alike and different
  • describing objects and guessing objects based on description
  • expanding sentences using color attributes

Please leave me a comment below and let me know how you use this activity during speech sessions or at home with your own kids!


No comments:

Post a Comment